PRIMARY CARE NETWORKS ON THE SOUTH ISLAND
Wave 1 Divisions Learning Session Summary - September 24, 2019
On September 24 2019, the GPSC provided an opportunity for Divisions of Family Practice (DoFP) in Wave 1 communities to meet and share learnings and identify process improvements from their work on Primary Care Network (PCN) implementation. The recommendations are a reflection of the collective voice of Wave 1 physician leads and Executive Directors, based on their discussions from the day. The purpose of this paper is to outline their shared issues, suggestions and to ensure their feedback contributes to improvement and informs communities of next steps to address pain points in the process.
UPDATE TO MEMBERS
An update to members on the PCN process - specifically the progress related to the Letters of Intent.
Following a meeting with Island Health (IH) and the Ministry of Health (MoH) on August 26th, and as reported that evening at the SIDFP PCN Physician Leadership Committee, the MoH will not accept adjustments or addendums to the Letter of Intent (LoI – non-binding documents). With input from members on the 26th and discussion of the SIDFP Board and Executives the following process will be implemented to address member concerns while progressing the PCN work:
- The two Letters of Intent (LoI – non-binding documents, signed by SIDFP, IH and First Nations partners) will be submitted along with a cover letter identifying member concerns.
- The PCN Steering Committee has been formed and met on September 3rd - draft Terms of Reference are being refined and the committee reporting will be forth coming. The SIDFP is represented by Drs. Robin Saunders and Jaron Easterbrook and Executive Director, Clay Barber. Agendas will be circulated approximately 1 week ahead of meetings with minutes to follow within 1 week of the meeting. Key information will also be discussed at the Physician Leadership Committee. We encourage members to read the e-bulletins and webpage links for updates and attend the Physician Leadership Committee meetings for further discussions.
- MoH Executives have been invited to attend the September 23 Physician Leadership Committee meeting to directly address members’ concerns. SIDFP Board members will be in attendance. (Meeting Information | RSVP here)
- The SIDFP Board will meet on September 25 to decide next steps.
- If the Board decides to proceed, the SIDFP will engage with MoH around the formal Fund Transfer Agreements (FTA – legally binding agreements) process and will seek member input as well as external expertise, as required.
Supporting Documents for Division Survey
Click here to read the Executive Summaries of the PCN Plans
Click here to view the Saanich Peninsula PCN Plan Overview
Click here to view the Western Communities PCN Plan Overview
Primary Care Announcement from the Premier of BC, dated May 24, 2018.